Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Does this shamble make me look sexy??

Two years ago, while playing softball, I injured my leg.  I ended up with a pretty good sized lump in the middle of my Achilles tendon.  I finished the softball tournament, of course, because I am too competitive not to.  I hope I learn some day. Especially since I recently played with a concussion and didn't even realize I had one.

Most weekends I am playing softball, and this last one was no different.  The team must be composed of 6 men and 4 women.  You can play with more to give players a break, but those numbers are the minimum.  We had plenty, because someone always gets hurt.  Unfortunately, three of our girls backed out.  So we had just enough to play.  Shortly into our second game, one of our girls hurt her hamstring.  Due to the amount of girls, and the way the line up is set up, I am the only woman available to run for her.  Later on, another girl gets hurt because she slipped off the base.  So now, I am taking turns running for two gimpy girls.

After the tournament, I was getting terrible stabbing pains in my leg.  The throbbing was miserable!!  I made an appointment for the following Monday.  As I mentioned before, I had been experiencing this pain for two years, and I had seen my doctor previously.  When he saw me again, and discovered that I was in for a softball related injury, he suggested that I find a new hobby. After a series of tests, he decided to send me to a physical therapist.

Today was my first appointment, and I have to say it was worse that I thought!  He started with having me do toe raises.  I did this with both legs, one, then the other.  Then he poked and prodded, and asked the age old question, "Does this hurt?"  All the while I am just trying not to scream like a little girl.  He then showed me some stretches to do a few times a day. I was then placed on a table, and he proceeded to put some pads on my Achilles, and whipped out a needle!  I thought, Whoa buddy what on Earth are you doing with that!!!!!  Shots in muscles I can handle, but in my very sensitive, extremely sore tendon.....I don't think so.  I don't know if he actually did inject it into my leg, but he told me, "Now you are going to feel a burning sensation."  I didn't at first, then I would have sworn that my entire calf, shin, and foot was on fire.  This process is called HVGS, high voltage galvanic stimulation.  I am pretty sure it is just a form of torture. 

I have been sidelined.  He doesn't want me to do anything!  I asked about jogging, and that was a no, before I could ask about anything else, he said I pretty much want you to do nothing.  Anything you might think of is restricted.  If you must walk, it will be at a shambling pace.  So now, instead of running from zombies, I am the zombie!!!!  He wrapped up my leg, told me to come back on Friday to get it re-wrapped, and then go back on Monday and Wednesday of next week.  I guess we will see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment