Sunday, January 4, 2009

The Holidays

Yes, I am aware that you have been waiting to see just how exciting the holidays were here at the Nunley home, and I have been ignoring my duties to you. Here I am to amaze you!!

1) Ry watching dad start the fire 2) Santa Cy and Ry saying "Merry X-Mas to eachother 3) Ry opening a gift

Christmas for me is not just Christmas, a day for opening presents and being with family, but also my mother's birthday. I realize that with having so many siblings she was regularly swiped of a birthday celebration. So Christmas morning I made cinnamon rolls, cookies, coffee, and hot cocoa. We opened gifts, made a mess, and enjoyed time with my family. This was Cyrus' very first Christmas and I hope he enjoyed it. (as much as a 9 month old can) We visited at my Grandmother for about an hour soon after.

1) the litte white speck is Ry trying to sneak a present 2) Santa Cy 3) Pancho

After semi-cleaning the living room, we went to John's parents and opened gifts and had lunch. It was a nice visit. The kids were less excited with gifts of mine because I only buy them toys for their birthdays. I am always the practical aunt that purchases the gift of clothing. Ryenn got the messiest toy from Ron and Brigette. The color wonder horrible marker set. (funny stories and pictures to come...i am sure)

1) Sunny and Gaspar helping Cy with his gifts 2) John and his new t-shirt

I lovingly prepared enchiladas, rice, and beans for a birthday dinner for my mom. The food was great. I tried to make her a cake as well, but I am not a baker by any means. It was disastrous.
How can you ruin a cake from a box do you ask. (if you are me it is not that difficult) First, I didn't wait the appropriate length of time to try removing the cake from the pans. It fell apart! Grrr. Then, I re-assembled the cake only to find that my cake dome was not large enough to fit the cake. It smashed one whole side. I was very frustrated, but was able to let some of it go when i tasted my masterpiece. (delicious)

Grandma Ida reading to Ry

New Year's was a bit of a different story. We enlisted the aid of Grandma Lisa and went off to spend an evening with adults (and their children) at John's boss' home. We played board games with Ron and Brigette, Kale and Julie, and Josh and Dusty. We had a blast. I hope that your holidays were filled with many blessings, and wonderful memories with your loved ones.

1 comment:

  1. i remember when we were kids and you told me on your mom's birthday she got YOU presents. i thought that was the coolest thing. what you forgot to mention (or maybe i just forgot) was that her birthday was on christmas. maybe it was the same day that i thought you told me that you don't say the pledge of allegiance because it would be worshiping the flag (thus making me believe you were JW). my husband likes to remind me of how little of my childhood i remember. apparently what i don't remember i make up.

    ReplyDelete