Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Perched Precariously

There is a lip protruding from my fireplace. This is not your run of the mill fireplace. It is run with gas, and has those corny, fake logs. As this poses no real danger of flying, popping pieces of burnt lumber...our fireplace does not have a gate, and is level with the ground. (with the exception of the lip)


At the bottom of the photo....yes, it's the lip!

This morning I was cooking eggs for breakfast. Ryenn was happily watching and dancing along with her favorite show (the backyardigans). She generally stays engaged with this show, for which I am very thankful. From 9:00 to 9:30 and 1:00 to 1:30, I have some much needed me time. So, I am cooking eggs and I can hear a small, but slightly frustrated whining. Rye Rye can be pretty fussy, and this cry was nothing like her "Momma, I really need you" cries.

I ignored it, and went back to my breakfast. After a while, I heard the same cry, but with more intensity behind it. So I thought, "Guess, my eggs are burning today." After precautionarily (yes that is a stephanie-izm) turning the heat down I peeked my head into the next room. There was my little adventurer. She was on the lip of the fireplace trying to make a grab for the rocking chair to get down. Of course if I had not intervened, I am sure that she would have ended up with some large knot and purple bruise over her delicate eye. She was absolutely determined to get off the ledge on her own. She made several attempts after my initial rescue!


The distance from the fireplace to the rocking chair!

I will have to keep better tabs on her today. Tomorrow is the first ever trip to the photographer. Yes, we will be getting our first family portrait! Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment