Friday, November 18, 2011

Gold Star

Each child is different.  I really have no idea how many times I have heard or said it.  Although, it is a terribly overused statement, it does not change that it is so very true.  My girls are as different as they can possibly be.  Leah is independent, rough, and not always very friendly.  She loves pretending to be a puppy, and eats her dinner without any begging!

Ryenn, however, is my shy princess.  She sticks close to mommy everywhere we go.  Even if it is the home of a family friend, she is still hesitant to wander by herself.  She plays dress up, but doesn't like doing it alone, and getting her to eat solid foods is like trying to move a mountain.

In August we discovered that Ryenn wouldn't meet the cut off date for kindergarten.  She would have to be 5 by August 31st.  Unfortunately, her birthday is in September so she misses the date by two weeks.  They do, however, test 4 year olds into school.  I have decided that it is our best option.  It would be detrimental to her social skills if she spent another year alone with mom.  There aren't a great deal of activities that a mom can do with her young children in the area.  We had already tried dance, but she was intimidated by all of the kids. 

I knew that she had to be enrolled in preschool, but I was really nervous that things would not go well.  When her first day arrived I didn't know what to do.  I was excited, scared, and sad all at once.  Daddy loaded up the car, and we headed to school.  We walked into the room, and with the smallest hugs Ry says, "Bye," and runs into the group of kids.  I was sure that I was going to make it home, and the teacher would be calling to tell me that I needed to pick up my hysterical child.  After 30 minutes, I was a bit shocked, but I continued by wait.  An hour went by, and then another, soon it was time to get her!  I was so proud when she skipped over to me and declared that she had so much fun!

Here we are a semester later, and she is still so excited to go to school every morning.  We were given her first progress report, and it was a special moment.  She scored all "U's," the highest marks possible!  This is what her teacher had to say about her:

"Ryenn is such an amazing little girl.  She is super smart and probably the most polite girl I've ever met.  She is excellent at making friends and helping others feel included."


No comments:

Post a Comment