Thursday, November 6, 2008

Seriously!!!??!?!?

SERIOUSLY

I am disappointed...."Seriously!" I am a huge fan of Grey's Anatomy. I own all of the series DVDs that are currently available. I watch them frequently. During the episodes I find that I am chewing off my nails in suspense.

Now, I am just sitting in total shock and disbelief. The most recent episode, it was rumored, was to be the last night for one of the characters. (i automatically assumed izzy stevens because of when she dissed the writers) I was worried, because I have become attached to the characters, and I am still lamenting the loss of Dr. Burke who was a strong character. (although i certainly don't condone what he did or said that was the cause of his removal) Lo and behold, ABC fired Brooke Smith. She played the character Dr. Hahn, and oh yeah she just happens to be one of the two lesbian characters on the show!

Despite the fact that Shonda Rhimes denies that it isn't the sexual preference of the character that removed her from the show, I have a sinking feeling. I mean what else could it have been. I am ashamed of the narrow-mindedness of America. Yes, it is true that Disney is ABC's parent company, but seriously! Grow up people!!!! Part of being an American is having choices, and being a member of this great melting pot of a country!!! So, we want to keep it out of schools, fine. Still, I choose to watch what I do. If something doesn't appeal to you....don't watch it, don't let your children watch it, but do not complain about it. A single person (or a large group for that matter) does not have the right to decide that the country is not ready for a gay or lesbian couple. Look at the terrific success of Will and Grace for goodness sakes!!

If this really is not the reason that Brooke Smith was fired, than great! The fact of the matter is that she herself was stunned and was quoted as saying:

"I was so naive. I'm like, 'It's 2008,' " Smith said about believing that ABC would have followed through and not shied away from the lesbian story line. "But I'm starting to realize that not everyone feels the way I do."

In an interview with Brook (in which the pointedly asked “What the hell happened?!”) she said, “I was very excited when they told me that Erica and Callie were going to have this relationship. And I really hoped we were going to show what happens when two women fall in love and that they were going to treat it like any heterosexual couple on TV. And so I was surprised and disappointed when they just suddenly told me that they couldn't write for my character anymore.” (The Advocate.com)

I guess if you are the next Head of Cardiothoracic sugery at Seattle Grace Hospital watch your back!!!

1 comment:

  1. Seriously? I'm gonna vent on the topic now, too. I know we've talked about it before but all the commotion in cali over gay marriage has me all fired up again. I think I'm going to blog this if I wasn't scared of all the mormons on my page lol: "I have a question for those who are against gay marriage. What exactly are you trying to accomplish from banning gay marriage? A ban on gay marriage isn't going to stop people from being gay." grr... ok. i'm done now. thanks dude. :)

    ReplyDelete