Saturday, November 15, 2008

Stuck in Real Life

These last two weeks have been very stressful. I can't help but feel that we, being my small family, are stuck in a horrible rut of a real life flaming-pile-of-steaming poo!!

Ryenn has been sick for two weeks now. She is at the tail end of it, but I am seriously starting to doubt my sanity. She had a cold for the first week. Just as we were in the clear she got the stomach flu! I was worried to death. My daughter does not have any weight to spare! (goodness knows) Yesterday we spent in the E.R. and found out that she is back to weighing 20lbs! That was what she weighed four months ago! (yikes!!)

I knew my poor kiddo was dehydrated. She seriously did not have a wet diaper for almost two days! The thing that made it even more hellish was that she did not act sick. (yes i know that sounds deranged!) When you are complaining to anyone that will listen that your only (and first) child is sick and probably one step away from shock, and she isn't even making so much as a peep!! "Well she is a first time mom." I hate that. I have spent almost every minute of everyday with Ryenn since birth. I know when she is not feeling well.

Thankfully we took her to the E.R. and we were seen by a competent physician. (yes, in safford..i am as shocked as you are) They did not give her I.V. fluids immediately. They actually assessed her, and decided that since she was thirsty (but unable to retain anything) she could take a pill that would help with nausea. This wonder drug is safe to use for nursing and pregnant women, as well as babies as young as 1 month with almost no side effects. We said, "Bring on the miracle!!" Within 3 hours Ryenn was able to, not only drink her fill, but keep it down as well. She even had a wet diaper!

So, we are on the mend. Hopefully our family will get some sleep, and we will have fun things to report next time. Good luck to those who are going to be the next recipients of the stomach flu!


**PS: For those other moms out there, I saw that the Infants' Mylicon Gas Relief Dye Free (simethicone-antigas) non-staining drops sold in one-ounce plastic bottles with the lot numbers SMF007 or SMF008 was recalled. It is suspected that the drops may contain metal in them. If you use them please be careful!! (info found on babycenter.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment