Monday, May 11, 2009

A Beautiful Thing

"Show me the books he loves and I shall know the man far better than through mortal friends."
~ Dawn Adams ~

I love reading. It is one of the most wonderful outlets, and a delicious treat for my down time. I am not saying that I don't love my daughter....I am just admitting that sometime I would rather be reading an awesome novel than watch her play with her baby or color.

While I am still certain that my all time favorite novel is Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice," I love to find new books to read. I am a huge fan of the fantasy genre, and my current favorite series is "The Kingkiller Chronicles" by Patrick Rothfuss. I am still awaiting the second book in the series entitled "The Wise Man's Fear." I really enjoy reading "The Farseer" and "The Tawny Man" trilogies which tie together, and were written by Robin Hobb.

I recently bought five new books as part of my Mother's Day gifts:

1) "A Certain Slant of Light" by Laura Whitcomb
2) "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" by Lisa See
3) "The Thirteenth Tale" by Diane Setterfield
4) "A Great and Terrible Beauty" by Libba Bray
5) "Sunshine" by Robin McKinley


I read "A Certain Slant of Light" and discovered that it was a different read from my normal cup of tea. This book had some difficult themes (like adultery and teen suicide), but was really too short to make it effective. I still enjoyed it, but did spend some time being a bit confused. (i will give you the scoop on the others as soon as I have finished them)

No comments:

Post a Comment