Monday, September 29, 2008

A Very Good Read

I don't pretend to be a literary critic, but it just so happens that I just finished reading a fantastic book. I love reading, and when I do read a buzz worthy book I tell everyone I know.

So the book is titled - "Day One: The Name of the Wind" it was written by a new author named Patrick Rothfuss. It is the first part of a trilogy called "The Kingkiller Chronicle." This book came out in 2007 so the next book "Day Two: The Wise Man's Fear" has yet to hit the shelves. (it is my turn to anxiously hold my breath)


The author is able to tell the story in an almost musical way. The use of each word is brilliant! He created an unlikely hero (as in the first book he lives through his teen years) that a single reader could resist. He has that boy-ish charm, he is humble, but most of all he is believable as a character. Your heart strings tug as this little boy experiences trial after difficult trial to become a man.

Kvothe is much talked about in this wonderfully created world. He has done things that most men only dream about. Of course, with this sort of reputation many of his deeds are embellished or distorted. He is in hiding, masquerading as a polite and unassuming innkeeper. Yet someone is aware of his true identity and has come to find him. Not just anyone, but a scribe....The Chronicler. He is hunting for the true story of Kvothe, the bloodless. (as he has many names) The Kingkiller Chronicles tells the tale of the life of Kvothe. Not only the obstacles, but the many loves...his music, his family, and of course a woman. Believe me, he is the type of hero that many a damsel would swoon for.

I hope you will pick up a copy, and prepare yourself for an adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment